Sunday 31 July 2016

Add Segovia to your must see list.

Have you ever visited a place or lived in a country and it feels like your heart is just meant to be there? Well, that's Spain for me. 

I have travelled all over Spain and I've loved every moment and a day in Segovia and La Granja was my final stopping destination before seeing out my spanish days in Madrid. But what a beautiful place it was to end my trip.

It wasn't too far from Madrid, maybe an 1 and a half, but if you travel through the cool stunning mountains, with a chilled summer play list and an awesome travel companion it soon flies by. Lucky for me my travel companion happened to be someone who is very familiar with Segovia so knows all the best places to see and eat. Our first stop was the beautiful Alcazar de Segovia and we snuck to a quiet road behind the castle. It was so stunning it looked like a cross between a fairy tale castle and a mediterranean Hogwarts.

Ready for my hogwarts flying lesson where my other witches and wizards at?
 Second stop was inevitably was the Aqueduct. It was HUGE we saw the beginning of the structure as we were driving in and to see the main structure in the centre of Segovia was incredible. This huge aqueduct and the city its self is protected as a world heritage site and its understable it's one of the most intact roman aqueduct's left in Europe.
You can't see it here, but there are hundreds of swallows flying in and out of the arches constantly
We walked right to the top to see it from the best angle. We then walked through the city to see the cathedral and the Alcazar properly. You can see the Alcazar from the inside for a fee or just go up the Torre de St Juan ii for just 2.50, But by the time we got to the gates it was around 39 degrees and we were hungry and tired and the thought of the clime wasn't enticing us so we just sat in the shade in the cafe gardens and looked out over the city contemplating lunch. Obviously the Alcazar being a tourist attraction the cafe is extremely expensive so I recommend strolling back in to the streets to find somewhere local and if you want something delicious go to El Fogon Sefardi which sells award winning tostas. We didn't even have a sit down dinner we just stayed in the bar and ate 2, they were so filling couldn't even finish, as much as we tried. But if you want something really Segovian then have Cochinillo it's, in english terms, Suckling pig, so a baby pig normally 2-6 weeks old roasted whole. It's not my cup of tea but if it's yours then Segovia is the place to get it.
The beautiful view from the cafe next to the Alcazar
Sober these streets are beautiful, I imagine after a caña or two it could be tricky 
Segovia wasn't the only place I visited that day. I also visited La Granja, but that's a post for another time. so this is where I leave you.

Thanks for stopping by.

Zoe

xxx

Have you and your heart got a second home? comment and tell me below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment